Tuesday, April 3, 2012

More Ah-Men!

Groovy!
This wonderful Ah-Men vintage ad has lots of beef cake as well as the locations of their two retail stores in California.  While the word "groovy" became popular in the 1960s and 1970s, it's origins with cool cats and hot doggers started with one of our favorite eras here at VGMH-- the roaring 1920s.  It's reported that the word was part of the hip jazz culture of the 1920s, when it referred to the "groove" within a piece of music that was hip enough to be the cat's pajamas.  Other jazz-age slang:

 bank's closed.: no kissing or making out ie. "Sorry, mac, bank's closed."
barrell house: illegal distillery
beat it: scram, get lost
bee's knee's: terrific; a fad expression. 
 bell bottom: a sailor
belt: a drink of liquor
bent: drunk

5 comments:

  1. I loved these catalogs, wish I still had them. In fact I had a pair of the low rise briefs in the pic to the right. Does anyone know how I can obtain copies of the catalogs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might try ebay for some catalogs. I'm curious, what size were the catalogs-reader's digest or larger?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for finding those Ah Men ads, Steve. I didn't know they ever had a store location in the Silverlake area. When I was in LA for school, they only had the store on Santa Monica Blvd. in West Hollywood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have any of my old Ah Men catalogs anymore, so I cannot answer this definitively, but I believe they were produced in several styles over the years. I think most were in a digest size, like the one from 1972 shown at the link in my earlier comment. But I think I received a few that were 8 1/2 X 11 magazine size. I think the larger size catalogs were produced in later years, in the late '70s and early '80s.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks again, Bob! This catalog is truly wonderful! I'm sorry but I had to remove the link you offered, as the blogger programs that search for spam don't seem to (or don't care) about the content of a link found in the comments section--they treat them all as spam. I'll include your link to that site in its own upcoming posting--and thank you once again!

    ReplyDelete