Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Federico García Lorca

Never heard of him?  Most people aren't aware of Federico, but this legendary Spanish poet and playwright should be more famous than he is.  He went to college with Luis Buñuel and Salvador Dalí.    He had a steamy affair (how sexual it was remains in question) with Dalí, which was the subject for the 2009 movie Little Ashes  In addition to poems, he wrote plays like Blood Wedding and The House of Bernarda Alba.  Dalí said about Federico that  "He was homosexual, as everyone knows, and madly in love with me. He tried to screw me twice .... I was extremely annoyed, because I wasn’t homosexual, and I wasn’t interested in giving in. Besides, it hurts. So nothing came of it. But I felt awfully flattered vis-à-vis the prestige. Deep down I felt that he was a great poet and that I owe him a tiny bit of the Divine Dalí's asshole. He eventually bagged a young girl, and she replaced me in the sacrifice. Failing to get me to put my ass at his disposal, he swore that the girl’s sacrifice was matched by his own: it was the first time he had ever slept with a woman."  There's so much about Dali's statement that contradicts itself, but they belong to him and not Federico. 
 
Mr. Lorca suffered severe depression and guilt about being a man who loved other men.  It's believed that he died in 1936 when soldiers dragged him into a field, shot him and tossed his body into an unmarked grave.  Franco's government tried to obliterate Lorca's memory.  His books were prohibited, his name forbidden.  His poetry has been translated into a dozen languages and his name is known worldwide.
Lorca and Dalí

1 comment:

bob said...

Wow! What a find! [Where do you come up with this stuff? You amaze me!] Likewise, how sad.

I do remember Salvatore Dali being interviewed on the TONIGHT SHOW with Johnny Carson, and he was fascinating thanks to his being so eccentric. I have to see if there is anything on You Tube about him. I don't remember exactly what they talked about, but I was totally captured by it and would love to see it again. Thanks!